Resolving a dispute following the breakdown of a marriage or relationship can be an emotional time. In order to achieve the best possible outcome, it’s important that all variables and factors are considered. Time, expenses and the overall impact of the relationship has a massive effect on achieving the desired resolution.
Methods of family dispute resolution
- Kitchen table (negotiating together without legal help)
- Facilitated discussion with friend or family member
- Mediation with a neutral trained mediator
- Round table meetings with lawyers
- Arm’s length negotiations through lawyers
- Litigation to final hearing
Each method has its advantages and disadvantages and the costs differ depending on the required service. When resolving a family dispute, the last option is to take the dispute to court, however, circumstances may arise whereby it is the only option.
Our role in family disputes
We aim to provide you with the best possible service and avoid unnecessary costs and delays.
We will ensure your best interests are prioritised and take into a account each factor including:
- Your children
- Your ongoing relationship with your former partner/spouse
- Separating with dignity
- The wider family or social network
- Physical and/or emotional well-being.
Safeguarding family disputes
We will ensure all the following risk factors are considered before and during proceedings;
- Domestic abuse
- Jurisdiction issues
- Mental health issues
- Drugs or other substance abuse
- Interim maintenance issues
- Concerns over hidden assets or non-disclosure
- Disability or terminal illness
The presence of one or more of these factors will not automatically rule out all options besides litigation, but they will need to be brought into the decision-making process.
The presence of one or more of these factors may rule out all other options barring litigation and will need to be bought into the decision-making process.
Family dispute resolution solicitors
If you have any queries regarding family dispute resolution, please contact our dispute resolution solicitors in Guildford on 01483 451900.