We all like to think that we will continue to be able to make our own decisions for as long as possible. However, due to unfortunate events like illness, injury or old age, many of us can lose mental capacity leaving us unable to deal with our own affairs. For this reason, we encourage all our clients to have Lasting Powers of Attorney in place to cover them for such unfortunate events.

Unless you have an Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney in place before you lose mental capacity, no one will have automatic authority to be able to manage your affairs on your behalf. This can often leave our loved ones in a difficult situation facing unnecessary financial problems. If this happens, someone like a family member or close friend can apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as your Deputy. They should act as quickly as possible as it can take a long time to get a Deputyship Order.

How we can help you as a Court of Protection Deputy

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to apply for a Deputyship Order in order to act on behalf of someone who has lost mental capacity, please get in touch with either Claire Binyon or Habiba Ahmed who would be happy to assist you with your application.